Our Sun is an extraordinary and beautiful star, a wonder in the Universe likewise other billions and billions of stars from the Universe. It delivers every day, without cease, the energy that modeled our Solar System from 5 billions years ago. Our Earth, where we live receives no more than 2 billionths fractions of the Sun’s energy. Yes this is 0.000000002 of it, a very small number. Our Sun could sustain 500 millions Earths if they would be arranged around the Sun. If the Earth would receive 1 billionth of energy, it would have been covered completely by ice. No life could develop in these conditions. If it would receive 3 billionth of it, the Earth would have been a vast desert, inhospitable and too warm for life.
Our Earth, this amazing planet is receiving its energy from the Sun. This is the energy that is responsible for all the processes that happen to Earth. Plants are the only capable life forms from Earth which can process directly the Sun’s energy and transform it to other energy sources. This is the reason why fossil fuels exist in the first place. In hundreds of millions of years, plants took Sun’s energy and by photosynthesis fixed the carbon and transformed in different forms of fossil fuels that we know today: oil, petrol, coal, wood. Any substance that you see on Earth and which burns, it is doing so because in the past a chemical reaction made by plants took place and stored this energy. This happened in an incredible amount of time : 2 billions years.
Animals are not capable of self sustaining. They extract their energy by consuming organic food: vegetables or meat. This is the energy that gives them power. Without it, animals would not exist on this planet and the humans too.
Even though, the conditions which made life possible on Earth are extraordinary. I will try to enumerate the most important factors :
- the inclination of the Earth’s axis on the orbit by 23.6 degrees gave the possibility to exist seasons. Without this some regions would be permanently frozen and others permanently desert.
- the rotation of the Earth which gives the day and night cycle which is so needed by life.
- deep inside the Earth the nucleus which is made by Iron and Nickel and which rotates differently from the rest of the Earth. It gives it magnetic field which protects life from dangerous high energy particles.
- the atmosphere which has the right amount of composition and which protects life from other types of radiation like gamma, X-rays, ultraviolet.
- the fact that the main liquid of the Earth is water which has an incredible cycle
- the properties of the water which between 0 and 4 Celsius degrees behaves strangely by dilating instead of contracting. This is why ice floats, because it has a different density than the unfrozen water. This gave the possibility for life to exist because ice is always at the surface of the water and protects from the cold the deeps. The water bellow is warmer and gives the possibility for creatures to survive.
- yet again, the atmosphere which evaporates water and makes possible the life cycle. The currents which are forming in the atmosphere are very complex and this is why rains occur.
- the fact that volcano and earthquakes occur is due to the fact that continental plates are moving. This is because Earth is warm inside and has a tremendous activity. Continental plates, by moving, shape the mountains, the valleys and varieties of Relief . The variety which we see now is because of that. Also because of this new material is taken from the inside and put to the outside, assuring fertility for plants.
There are also some external factors like the existence of giant planets which lie outside the Earth’s orbit and which protected it from asteroids and comets which can destroy life. There are some other factors too.
But look again, we tiny humans, living to the surface of the Earth, around a Sun (our Sun) receiving just 2 billionth of energy from it. And this Sun which is only a star among other 200 billions of stars from our galaxy, Milky Way. And our galaxy is just one of the 1000 billions of galaxies that are in the range of our optical observations.
How small is the Earth compared to these huge astronomical numbers ? How small we are just compared to the our Sun’s energy ? And I ask myself, as a fellow human being living on this tiny planet : What right I have to not be humble and respectful to these things ? There are billions of years of continuous arrangement which gave what we see today. To count only to 1 billion, it will take you over 25 years. How can we be so blind ?
How can we play and not take consideration about all this amazing things ?
What Earth produced in billions of years, all the energy stored in the fuel fossils we burn it in just 100 years. 100 years of burning oil, petrol, gas, coal, wood. Try to think about this a little. What took the Earth let’s say 1 billion years ( even if the Earth it is 4,6 billions years old ) we consume in 100 years, 200 let’s say (from 1850) . Let’s do some arithmetic now : 1 billion divided by 200 gives 5 millions. We burn this energy stored all this time 5 millions times quicker : 5.000.000 times quicker. What does it means ? It means that all the heat that result in the process must go somewhere. Where ? In our atmosphere. All this heat stays in the atmosphere, warms the Earth, keeps the heat to the Earth. The Earth is not capable of compensating because the Earth must take all this energy through plants which are the only capable organisms of storing carbon and take energy. We are in a trap. And the results are already visible. The arctic almost remained this year without ice. It’s a new record. In 5-10 years the arctic will not have ice on summer. And all the life cycle on Earth will be greatly perturbed : marine currents, atmospheric currents, circulation of water will cease to function properly and life will not be sustainable than in a few and limited places. Temperature will rise again and again until the critical point for life to exist will be reached. Yes, these are sad news. Unfortunately, true.
And I ask myself yet again ? What right do we have as humans, to destroy 5 billions of years of permanent construction of the Earth ? Earth is alive, like us, but to a different level that we can’t understand because we are too small compared. Why we are so stupid, so irrational, so violent with nature, so insensitive, so unconscious ? Nature is with us and in us, not against us. We aren’t born in hospitals even maternities exist ! We born because this process of creation going from the first embrion cell to a self sustaining and autonomous organism developed in billions of years in nature. Nature which we are at war right now. If nature dies, we die. Maybe this is a fair price for the insanity we arrived.
Hopefully, this will not happen and people will realize and be conscious about this possible reality.